3.07.2006

I vant to be alone, ahll ah-lone.


Quiet time away from the group.
Originally uploaded by Esther17.

Ever since I can remember, I've had no problem going out by myself. Movies, meals, shopping, the park, etc. Growing up, some this could be attributed to the fact I was pretty much wallpaper in high school, with only a few close friends. But mostly, it just never really bothered me.

I love hanging out with my friends, don't get me wrong. But there seems to be a stigma of shame attached to being in any type of social situation by yourself, a pity party, as if to say, "Aw, poor thing, she must not have anybody in her life." Just last night, I went out to eat, and the guy at the table in front of me commented, "Looks like we're both eating dinner alone." Granted, he might have been hitting on me, and I was too hungry to notice, but still, his tone seemed to indicate how pathetic we both were.

There's no shame in the game, people. If friends cancel, boyfriends leave, family's far away, and you've got some time on your hands, take it solo. You may surprise yourself with how good a time you have with me, myself, and I.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

Well said! I too have no problems going out by myself. Movies, restaurants ... you name it, I've been there alone.

Pity the guy who used that corny line to hit on you. If it were me, I'd have said "Can I join you?"

I loved 'Crash' ... I was elated that it won the Oscars ... its high time racial stereotypes were exposed on the big screen.

3/07/2006 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Nik, I too am an only child and don't mind being on my own occasionally. I went to watch "Chicago" on my own once, simply because no other company was available at that moment. I was comfortable, but all the couple surrounding me kept glancing incredulously in my direction. "She's come alone? To a movie? omgwhy?"

Why not?!

3/09/2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

Indeed!

Btw, Minnie, I saw "Chicago" by myself, too. lol

3/10/2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



NaBloPoMo
Issue #905
on and on
Arrested Development: Season 1
Tootsie Fruit Rolls